About the Course:
This course is designed to explore issues and concerns related to controlling membership and residency in community associations. It describes the process of amending the governing documents to authorize screening and create reasonable criteria for screening of prospective new owners and tenants. It explores the legal and judicial barriers, especially as applied to protected classes of persons, as well as the biases and misunderstandings of directors and committee members that can emerge in the process of deciding who can and cannot move in. The course employs, for part of its substance, a narrative based on a fictional homeowners’ association, its screening committee members, president, owners, attorney, and applicants.
- Understanding various aspects of screening new owners and tenants
- Recognizing legal matters concerning the screening process
- Understanding amendments to the association governing documents
- Rule making
- Recognizing human resource factors
- Recognizing management’s role and stressors
- Understanding selective enforcement
About the Author:
Laura Matijak, Program Director, Community Association Manager, Instructor, received her CAM (CAM 23249) license in 2001. She has worked as both a portfolio manager and an onsite manager, manager for a client association. Since 2004, she has achieved four National designations in the industry Certified Manager of Community Associations; Association Management Specialist; Professional Community Association Manager; and Florida Legislative Alliance Delegate. Ms. Matijak has a B.A. and a M.S. (Human Resource Development and Administration and Organizational Leader-ship), both from Barry University. Ms. Matijak served as an adjunct professor for adult education at Barry University, from 2005 to 2012, conducting courses for individuals seeking both graduate and undergraduate degrees in Human Resource Management; Human Resource Development; Public Administration; and Organizational Leadership. She also is a licensed real estate sales associate. Ms. Matijak joined Gold Coast Professional Schools in 2015 as a CAM instructor, and has assisted Patricia Rogers, the Program Director who has since retired. Active instructor of pre-licensure courses.
How to receive credit:
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 3-hour commitment of time.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2024: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materi