Telemental Health: An Alternative to Traditional Psychotherapy
About the Course
Telemental health (TMH) is a broad term that refers to the provision of behavioral and mental health services using telecommunications or videoconferencing technology. Because technological advances in TMH are developing so rapidly, many practitioners may not have learned about how these advances can be integrated into clinical practice. Research has shown no evidence that TMH delivery of evidence-based mental health treatment is less effective than in-person delivery, even in the treatment of complex disorders like PTSD. This intermediate-level course provides a framework for understanding issues relating to TMH and offers introductory information for developing TMH clinical practices. Case vignettes are included.
Social Workers completing this course receive 3 clinical social work continuing education credits.
Psychologists will receive 3 CE credits upon successfully completing this course.
Counselors will receive 3 credit hours upon successfully completing this course.
- Define terminology used when discussing telemental health services.
- Explain emerging telemental health practices, common uses of technology, and healthcare access issues.
- Describe the provision of telemental health services, including technology requirements, security issues, licensure, informed consent, and safety planning.
- Explain the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of clients via telemental health, including clinical considerations.
- Identify challenges that practitioners may face when establishing a telemental health practice.
- Discuss the international contexts of telemental health.
About the Author
Dr. Teresa Crowe, PhD, LICSW, earned her BA, MSW, and PhD in social work from the University of Maryland - Baltimore County, Gallaudet University, and the University of Maryland at Baltimore, respectively. She works as a full professor of social work at Gallaudet University. Dr. Crowe's professional career focuses on behavioral health, primarily with individuals who are deaf and hard of hearing. She has worked in inpatient, outpatient, and private-practice settings. Dr. Crowe's research expertise includes a variety of behavioral health issues, such as translated standardized instruments, alcohol use, interpersonal and dating violence, help-seeking behavior, and telemental health.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print.
- Answer the final examination questions at the end of the course. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2019: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing, but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.