History of Embalming and Restorative Arts
About the Course:
To show you a glimpse into the history of embalming, the risks associated with formaldehyde and hidden dangers of arsenic embalming that was used in the 1800s.
- Discuss some of the reasons different cultures have embalmed their dead.
- Describe the process and materials used to embalm the dead in ancient Egypt.
- Discuss the historical changes affecting the embalming policy from the Dark Ages through the Renaissance.
- Explain how the Civil War changed the history of embalming.
- List three noted early American embalmers and their contributions to the field.
- Name three inventions that significantly changed embalming techniques in the 1800s and 1900s.
- Name the first well-known “demisurgeon” whose restorative techniques were a sensation in the early 1900s.
- Discuss the findings from the recent National Cancer Society research, published in November 2009, and how this may affect the use of formaldehyde in embalming.
- Explain the risks of arsenic in old cemeteries and embalmed bodies and how to protect yourself from exposure to arsenic.