Care for Special Populations
About the Course
Massage has some benefits for people with chronic and terminal illness, what are the differences between acute and chronic illness, and what are some special considerations for elderly clients.
- Develop and implement a clinical reasoning protocol to serve individuals with special needs.
- Explain the concepts of "therapeutic change" and "condition management," and their practical significance to massage therapy and palliative care.
- List some of the benefits of massage for people with chronic and terminal illness.
- Explain the etiology of chronic illness and the differences between acute and chronic illness.
- List some special considerations for elderly clients.
- Define therapeutic change, condition management and palliative care, and describe a context for each.
- Identify indications for massage therapy in chronic illness and explain the benefits of those indications.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
In accordance with the ANCC Standards for Commercial Support for continuing education, Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2019: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing, but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.