Pathology of Chronic Conditions for Massage Therapists
About the Course
Massage is used to help reduce pain and in some reduce chronic symptoms of cerebral palsy, fibromyalgia, myofascial pain syndrome and chronic fatigue syndrome, so to help people get better therapists must understand the illness.
- Define pathology and relate it to the practice of massage therapy.
- Describe the different forms of cerebral palsy and how they affect functioning of people.
- Explain what causes cerebral palsy and where its effects are manifested.
- List the kinds of treatments that may be used to help cerebral palsy patients.
- List the symptoms that people with fibromyalgia may exhibit.
- Explain how fibromyalgia is diagnosed.
- List the benefits of massage for people with fibromyalgia and the general types of massage that should be used.
- Explain the differences in symptoms of fibromyalgia and myofascial pain.
- Define trigger points and their relation to myofascial pain.
- List treatments for myofascial pain, including indications for massage.
- Describe the criteria for diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome.
- List possible causes of chronic fatigue syndrome.
- List treatment options for chronic fatigue syndrome.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
In accordance with the ANCC Standards for Commercial Support for continuing education, Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2019: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing, but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.