Preventing Medical Errors
About the Course
There are responsibilities in regard to laws for reporting medical error, but what are the most common sources of medical error, the behaviors and situations that can make errors high risk and what steps can be taken to prevent errors from happening.
- Discuss the rationale for studying medical errors and strategies for prevention.
- Explain the meaning of "error" according to the Institute of Medicine's (IOM) definition.
- Explain the concept of root-cause analysis and describe how it can be used to identify and prevent medical error.
- List the most common sources of medical error, and the most effective steps in preventing them from occurring.
- Identify some common behaviors and situations that create high risk potential.
- Identify and correct unsafe conditions rooted in behavioral, procedural, and/or environmental characteristics that potentially threaten patient safety in your practice.
- Describe your responsibilities in regard to the law for reporting medical error.
- Revise forms and documents to help individuals identify themselves as individuals or members of populations at greater risk, according to age, genetic or medical profiles, cultural characteristics, or personal habits.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing, but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.