An Overview of Prescribing Controlled Substances for Advanced Practice
About the Course
Nurse practitioners who prescribe controlled substances are responsible for ensuring patients receive the care they need while preventing their prescriptions from becoming a source of abuse or diversion. This course provides an overview of the safe and effective prescribing of controlled substances and three of the most common disease states that warrant more frequent prescribing of controlled substances.
Upon completion of this course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe the concepts of prescription drug abuse, misuse, addiction, and diversion, including recognition, risk factors, and prevention.
- Explain the laws pertaining to prescribing of controlled substances, including medication schedules, prescription-filling rules, and registration requirements.
- Discuss pain management, including evaluation, treatment, and medications used.
- Understand the management of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), including evaluation, treatment, and medications used.
- Provide an example of anxiety management, including evaluation, treatment, and medications used.
- Name steps necessary to ensure safe and effective prescribing of controlled substances, including professional documentation, patient-provider agreements, and informed consent.
About the Author
Shellie Hill, DNP, FNP-BC, currently serves as full-time faculty as the FNP Program Coordinator & Assistant Professor in the MSN-NP program at Saint Louis University. She has been a practicing Family nurse practitioner for 21 years and an RN for 28 years. Most of her clinical practice has been in primary care, and she also has experience in urgent care and cardiology. Clinically, she works in corporate health care clinics part-time, and she volunteers as an FNP in a clinic that manages underserved patients.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 3-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.