Care Settings for Older Adults
About the Course
The purpose of this course is to educate healthcare professionals on the care needs of older adults and their caregivers in multiple settings: Homes, skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, prisons, psychiatric facilities, and homeless shelters.
Upon completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Apply home assessments for the older adult living at home to increase safety.
- Distinguish common difficulties adults may face in the nursing home setting.
- Evaluate the needs of older adults in assisted living facilities.
- Analyze irreversible decline experienced by older adults during hospitalizations.
- Examine the care needs of older vulnerable adults who are in psychiatric facilities, who are incarcerated, or who are experiencing homelessness.
About the Author
Nanette Lavoie-Vaughan, CDCP, ANPC-C, DNP, has more than 30 years of experience in geriatric nursing. Previously, she worked as a nurse practitioner, director of nursing, and staff nurse across various settings as she focused on her specialty of geriatric/dementia care. Nanette shared her knowledge with others as a clinical assistant professor at East Carolina University College of Nursing, a clinical instructor at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and an adjunct faculty member at Vanderbilt University School of Nursing. Nanette has presented nationally and internationally on dementia, pain management, caregiver issues, and topics specific to long-term care. She is the author of Eldercare: The Comprehensive Guide to Caregiving and a new evidence-based clinical practice guideline for the nonpharmacological management of behavioral problems in dementia. Her expertise and research are recognized through published work in Clinics of North America, book chapters, and online continuing education modules. Nanette also serves as an expert witness for several law firms and was a Sigma Theta Tau faculty mentor. Her educational accomplishments include an MSN from Florida State University, a DNP from Vanderbilt University, and a postdoctoral fellowship in ethnogeriatrics at Stanford University.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 2-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.