Human Trafficking in Florida, 2nd Edition
About the Course
Healthcare personnel are on the front lines of the fight against human trafficking. Nurses, physicians, physician assistants, and all healthcare personnel must be alert to the often-overlooked signs of trafficking in their patients. This course is designed to provide a sensitive overview of the issue of abuse in human trafficking and how it affects patients and their families. It also meets the requirements of the Florida State Board of Nursing for continuing education regarding human trafficking.?
Upon the completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Describe the incidence, scope, and types of human trafficking in Florida.
- List risk factors and warning signs for those who may become or who are victims of human trafficking.
- Discuss intervention strategies to approach trafficking victims and determine treatment.
- Identify reporting agencies and community resources for Florida human trafficking victims.
Michelle Lyman, MD, MPH is a Family Medicine resident working at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill. She graduated from the University of South Florida College of Medicine in 2019 with a dual degree in medicine and a Master of Public Health specializing in epidemiology. Michelle also earned a graduate certificate through the Scholarly Excellence Leadership Experience and Collaborative Training (SELECT) program. During medical school, Michelle worked with the Physicians Against Trafficking of Humans (PATH) through the American Medical Women’s Association (AMWA), as well as HEAL Trafficking, to promote improve medical education on trafficking. She presented her work on simulation-based curriculum at several national conferences and has designed several inaugural training programs at her medical school that continue to this day. Michelle’s current training goals are to learn broad spectrum care to better serve vulnerable populations and foster community health.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 2-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest*
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.?
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.?
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider?of nursing continuing?professional development?by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.?