Kentucky Pediatric Abusive Head Trauma Prevention for Nurses
Preview this course before you buy: Click to view the CE course eBookAbout the Course:
The purpose of this education program is to present information to Kentucky nurses regarding pediatric abusive head trauma, including definitions, incidence, cause, risk factors, signs and symptoms, pathophysiology, and prevention strategies. Documentation and legal statutes are also reviewed. This course meets the mandatory education requirements for Pediatric Abusive Head Trauma for Kentucky nurses.
Upon completion of this course, the learner should be able to:
- Define pediatric abusive head trauma (PAHT).
- Identify the significance and incidence of PAHT.
- Describe risk factors for PAHT.
- Evaluate the signs and symptoms of PAHT.
- Explain the pathophysiology and injuries related to PAHT.
- Discuss documentation and reporting.
- Explain ways to prevent PAHT.
- Understand Kentucky’s statutes regarding PAHT.
About the Author
Margaret Hughes, MSN, RN, CPNP-PC, PMHNP-BC, is a dual-certified pediatric and psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner who graduated from the Yale School of Nursing in 2016 and Northeastern University in 2021. She currently works in student health at a large university in Boston and sees psychiatric patients at an outpatient clinic. Before that, she worked at community-based and school-based health centers providing primary care to high-risk, medically underserved populations. She also has experience as a nurse in a private pediatric clinic in Connecticut and at an overnight summer camp in New York.
How to Receive Credit:
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 1.5-hour commitment of time.
- Complete the Self-Assessment Quiz Questions either integrated throughout or all at the end of the course.
- These questions are NOT GRADED. The questions are included to help affirm what you have learned from the course.
- The correct answer is shown after the question is answered. If the incorrect answer is selected, a Rationale for the correct answer is provided.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- If requested, provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory Nursing Course Evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
In accordance with the ANCC Standards for Commercial Support for continuing education, Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition
©2021: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up-to-date at the time of printing, but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
All individuals involved have disclosed that they have no significant financial or other conflicts of interest pertaining to this course. Likewise, and in compliance with California Assembly Bill No. 241, every reasonable effort has been made to ensure that the content in this course is balanced and unbiased.