Michigan Nurses Pain Assessment and Management
Preview this course before you buy: Click to view the CE course eBook
About the Course
This course meets the Michigan Board of Nursing requirement for Pain Assessment and Management content. It will provide nurses with an overview of the physiology of pain and will differentiate between acute and chronic pain. The focus of the program will be on assessment, as well as on pharmacologic and nonpharmacologic treatment modalities for the patient experiencing pain.
Upon completion of this course, the learner should be able to
- Recall the definition, the nature, the impact, and the expression of pain.
- Differentiate between nociceptive and neuropathic pain.
- Discuss the physiology of pain.
- Choose the appropriate pain assessment tool for individual clients based upon cognitive abilities.
- Demonstrate an understanding of various treatments for acute and chronic pain, including pharmacological and nonpharmacological treatment modalities.
- Discuss the special considerations for pain management in populations such as the elderly, pediatric patients, and those who are addicted to drugs or at risk for addiction.
- Select appropriate educational information for patients regarding pain management.
- Discuss barriers to adequate treatment of pain.
About the Author
Ann M. Schreier, PhD, RN, received her baccalaureate degree in nursing from Boston University; an MSN from the University of California, San Francisco; and a PhD from Stanford University. Currently Dr. Schreier is a professor at East Carolina University, College of Nursing in the Nursing Science Department. She is a past president of the American Society of Pain Management Nursing.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 2-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.?
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.?
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider?of nursing continuing?professional development?by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.?