Nurse Practitioner's Guide to Prescribing Controlled Substances - Focus on Opioids, 2nd Edition
About the Course
The focus is on clinical and safety considerations by NPs when prescribing non-cancer-related opioid medications for acute/chronic pain. This course will provide a general review of federal and state-controlled substance regulations and the prescribing practices of controlled substances.
Upon completion of this course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe the roles of the DEA, FDA, and HHS in scheduling-controlled substances and enforcing controlled substance laws and regulations.
- Understand the different DEA Controlled Substance Schedules and prescribing regulations associated with the different DEA Controlled Substance Schedules.
- Medical marijuana legislation.
- Describe essential considerations when prescribing controlled substances, including regulatory exceptions and clinical concerns.
- Controlled substance prescribing practices.
About the Author
Humberto Reinoso, Ph.D., FNP-BC, ENP-BC, serves as Assistant Professor and Nurse Practitioner Coordinator at Georgia Baptist College of Nursing of Mercer University. Dr. Reinoso’s clinical responsibilities have progressively evolved as his role in healthcare changed during the last 16 years of clinical practice. Initially, as a registered nurse (RN), he focused on providing the best care possible for patients in a busy emergency department (ED) in a teaching hospital in south Florida. His focus shifted to coordinating and improving patient care in the ED as an emergency nurse practitioner. He identified a greater understanding of how nursing and medicine intertwine. As an experienced Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) and Emergency Nurse Practitioner (ENP), he oversees a full range of nursing care for emergency department patients.
Dr. Reinoso received his Ph.D. from Barry University in Miami, Florida. He incorporates current guidelines and real-world scenarios as innovative pedagogical content delivery methods. His passion for nursing education has evolved as healthcare demands on the practitioner, patient, and community have become more complex. Preparing nurses to sharpen their skills and perform at the level of advanced practice providers has become his passion. His pedagogical approach focuses on bridging clinical practice with theoretical/didactic content. As an Assistant Professor and the Nurse Practitioner Coordinator at Georgia Baptist College of Nursing of Mercer University, he can combine his passion for clinical practice and the education of future advanced practice professionals.
About the Content Reviewer
Robyn B. Caldwell DNP, MSN, FNP-BC, earned a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) from Samford University in nursing administration with an emphasis in nursing education in 2013, a post-master's certificate as a family nurse practitioner from Delta State University in 2003, a master’s degree in nursing administration (MSN) in 1996, and Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree in 1990 from the University of Tennessee. Dr. Caldwell has worked in various healthcare settings throughout her 32-year career, including adult and pediatric emergency nursing, nursing administration, and nursing education (LPN to DNP) in community college and university settings. She has published and presented on topics relevant to nursing education and patient outcomes in local, state, and national venues. Currently, Dr. Caldwell is employed in an urgent care setting and studying for a post-masters in mental health.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 4-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 75% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.?
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or