Pain Management and Opioid Use for New Jersey Nurses, 2nd Edition
About the Course
The purpose of this course is to satisfy specific New Jersey continuing education requirements for the use of opioid medications. Many New Jersey nurses are likely to encounter patients requiring treatment with controlled substances across multiple practice settings. It is critical that they are well-versed in the federal and state laws governing the prescribing of these products. In addition to understanding these statutory guidelines, nurses must be aware of the potential problems with addiction as well as misuse, diversion, and overdose of controlled substances. Further, they are expected to develop techniques to identify, report, and remedy these potentially dangerous situations.
- State the required frequency of controlled substance inventories.
- Provide an overview of controlled substance recordkeeping.
- Explain the concept of a controlled substance closed system.
- Identify two traits sometimes associated with drug diversion by a health care professional.
- Provide an example of an action required by an institution following the identification of employee diversion.
- Suggest one potential benefit that may arise from the identification of institutional diversion.
- Describe a negative consequence associated with the improper disposal of controlled substances.
- Note one key step in the treatment of addiction.
- Name a medication useful in the treatment of opioid overdose.
About the Author
Bradley Gillespie, PharmD
Trained as a clinical pharmacist, Dr. Gillespie has practiced in an industrial setting for the past 25+ years. His initial role was as a clinical pharmacology and biopharmaceutics reviewer at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), followed by 20 years of leading early development programs in the pharma/biotech/nutritional industries. In addition to his industrial focus, he remains a registered pharmacist and enjoys mentoring drug development scientists and health professionals; leading workshops; and developing continuing education programs for pharmacists, nurses, and other medical professionals.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print, which requires a 1-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest*
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.