Pediatric Pharmacology: Asthma, 2nd Edition
Asthma is the most common chronic disease in children, yet it is often not well controlled. While patients may know that they have asthma, many do not know how to manage it to prevent exacerbations. Educating and empowering patients and their families to prevent asthma exacerbation is a key role for nurses to promote successful asthma treatment. This course will discuss asthma prevalence, common triggers, signs of asthma exacerbations, and prevention strategies
Upon completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Describe the history of asthma and earlier treatment modalities.
- Recognize symptoms associated with pediatric asthma, including differences from adult-associated symptoms.
- Identify risk factors for asthma in children.
- Recognize long- and short-term complications of pediatric asthma.
- List common triggers of asthma exacerbation.
- Describe indications of suboptimal asthma control.
- Discuss critical precautions necessary when oxygen is used therapeutically.
- Explain asthma exacerbation and treatment strategies used in an acute care setting.
- Summarize the pharmacologic properties of medications useful in the treatment of an asthma exacerbation.
About the Author
Bradley Gillespie, PharmD?
Trained as a clinical pharmacist, Brad has practiced in an industrial setting for the past 25+ years. His initial role was as a clinical pharmacology and biopharmaceutics reviewer at the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), followed by 20 years of leading early development programs in the pharma/biotech/nutritional industries. In addition to his industrial focus, he remains a registered pharmacist and enjoys mentoring drug development scientists and health professionals; leading workshops; and developing continuing education programs for pharmacy, nursing, and other healthcare professionals.?
About the Peer Reviewer
Erin Luckiesh, MSN, RN, CPNP-PC, is a pediatric nurse practitioner (PNP) with a specialty in primary care from Yale University. Erin has worked for an outpatient pediatric clinic in the San Francisco Bay area since 2019, where she started as a registered nurse working for their advice line and moved up to the role of PNP at the same practice in 2021. She also has four years of experience working at the University of California San Francisco Children’s Hospital as a child life specialist.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 3.0 hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest*
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.?
Accredited Provider Program Director (AP-PD)