Post-Traumatic Stress in Healthcare Workers
About the Course
This podcast examines post-traumatic stress among healthcare workers as members of the healthcare team. Symptoms, prevalence, contributing factors, interventions, and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic related to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) are discussed. Strategies for facilitating discussion of post-traumatic stress within the healthcare team will be discussed from a standpoint of awareness, respect, and current knowledge.
Listen, Learn, and Earn CE Hours with this podcast course. Available on Apple, Spotify, and other podcast apps.
- Identify two symptoms of post-traumatic stress seen in healthcare team members.
- Examine the prevalence of post-traumatic stress disorder and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on healthcare workers.
- Identify two nonpharmacological and two pharmacological interventions for post-traumatic stress or PTSD.
- Discuss a strategy for facilitating respectful discussion about post-traumatic stress and PTSD within the healthcare team.
About the Author
Daphne Essex, DNP, PMHNP-BC, FNP-C, is a dual certified psychiatric-mental health and family nurse practitioner with a doctoral degree with an emphasis on improving healthcare for underserved and diverse populations. She is a 33-year military veteran and is a member of the Nurse Practitioner Alliance of Alabama, the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, and the Advanced Practitioners for the River Region. She has worked in various settings throughout her career as a nurse practitioner to include emergency and correctional medicine, family practice, the active military, and the veteran community. In addition, she is contributing faculty teaching prospective psychiatric nurse practitioner students.
How to Receive Credit
- View the entire recording or read the transcript in print online which requires a 1-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.