Rehabilitation of the Older Adult
About the Course
The purpose of this course is to discuss physiological aspects of aging that may contribute to functional limitations, identify special considerations for older adults in rehabilitation settings, identify goals of geriatric rehabilitation, describe nursing interventions that promote restorative care, describe the roles of the interprofessional team members in rehabilitation for the older adult, and list the benefits of physical activity in the older adult.
Upon completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Define rehabilitation as it pertains to the functional and physical well-being of an individual.
- Examine the roles of members comprising the interdisciplinary team.
- Describe common goals of rehabilitation in the older adult population.
- Describe common reasons older adults require rehabilitation services.
- Review payer sources for rehabilitation services.
- Analyze the role of exercise in both rehabilitation and aging.
- Evaluate options for older adults if their individual rehabilitation goals are not met.
About the Author
Kellie L. Kahveci, PhD, APRN, AGPCNP-BC, GNP-BC, CNE, has been a practicing RN since 1983. Her clinical background includes critical care, primarily coronary care, pulmonary medicine, corporate marketing, home healthcare (medical-surgical, infusion therapy, and cardiovascular), and geriatrics. In all these roles, she held leadership positions She has been certified as an adult gerontology primary care and gerontology nurse practitioner since 2003. As an NP clinically, she made house calls; made home-based transitional care visits; and worked at a Veterans Administration Community Based Outpatient Clinic and Geriatric Medicine Outpatient Clinic as well as assisted living, dementia care, skilled nursing, and nursing home settings. Dr. Kahveci is a certified nurse educator who taught undergraduate and graduate nursing. She is currently a clinical assistant professor and program director for the Adult-Gerontology primary care program at the University of Texas-Arlington.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 2-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.?
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider?of nursing continuing?professional development?by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.