Wyoming APRN Prescribing Guidelines for Controlled Substances
Preview this course before you buy: Click to view the CE course eBookAbout the Course
Nurse practitioners who prescribe controlled substances have a great responsibility to ensure patients receive the care they need while preventing their prescriptions from becoming a source of abuse or diversion. This course serves to provide an overview of safe and effective prescribing of controlled substances, as well as three of the most common disease states that warrant frequent prescribing of controlled substances.
Upon completion of this course, the learner should be able to:
- Distinguish between the concepts of substance misuse, substance use disorder, and drug diversion.
- Examine the federal and Wyoming-specific laws pertaining to prescribing and dispensing of controlled substances, including medication schedules and prescription filling rules.
- Demonstrate understanding of the management of pain, including evaluation, treatment, medications used, and roles of healthcare team members.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the management of ADHD and anxiety, including patient evaluation and controlled substances used in treatment.
- Describe steps necessary to ensure safe and effective prescribing of controlled substances, including professional documentation, patient-provider agreements, and informed consent.
About the Author
Katie Blair, PharmD, RPh, is a pharmacist and freelance writer specializing in pharmacy education. She works as a consultant pharmacist in Vancouver, Washington, serving long-term care facilities in the area. Dr. Blair also has over 6 years of experience working as a staff pharmacist at a community pharmacy in Seattle. She graduated from Northeastern University in Boston in 2009 with a Doctor of Pharmacy degree. She has done freelance work writing and revising continuing education programs for pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, and nurses, as well as writing practice questions for various pharmacy technician exams.
About the Peer Reviewer
Robyn B. Caldwell, DNP, MSN, FNP-BC, PMHNP (c), earned a Doctor of Nursing practice (DNP) from Samford University in nursing administration with an emphasis in nursing education in 2013, a post-master's certificate as a family nurse practitioner from Delta State University in 2003, a master’s degree in nursing administration (MSN) in 1996, and a bachelor of science in nursing (BSN) degree in 1990 from the University of Tennessee. Dr. Caldwell has worked in a variety of healthcare settings throughout her 32-year career including adult and pediatric emergency nursing, nursing administration, and nursing education (LPN to DNP) in both the community college and university settings. She has published and presented on topics relevant to nursing education and patient outcomes in local, state, and national venues. Currently, Dr. Caldwell is employed in an urgent care setting and is working on a post masters as a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner (PMHNP).
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 3-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest*
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Accredited Provider Program Director (AP-PD)
Deborah Martin, DNP, MBA, RN, NE-BC, FACHE, Director of Learning Innovation Colibri Healthcare, LLC
Course ID: 70693