Oh My Aching Scar: Scar Tissue Pain
Scars have special consequences on the body. Scars restrict mobility, pull on fascia and negatively influence the body in many ways which can create pain no matter the age of the scar. Chronic pain has been difficult to diagnose and treat for health care professionals. In North America, millions of scars produced through surgery, injury, or insult are combined with patient traumas, represents a pre-existing pool of clients and patients with stress and pain within the general population.
This on-demand video course explains the relationship of scar formation and pain along with the causation of symptoms for the scar tissue population. The hows and whys will be explored for both internal and external causes with up-to-date research, video presentations from experts in the field.
At the end of this course the participant will be able to:
- Identify skin layers and fascial layers
- Recognize the relationship of fascia and the painful process of scars of adhesions
- Identify why scars can be painful
- Identify the role of the lymphatic system in scarring
- Recognize the dynamic of surgery, scars, and pain
- Identify how nerves and pain receptors play a role in pain
- Recognize diagnosis of pain DX codes from physicians
- Identify the quality of life issues from the scar clients perspective
About the Instructor:
Nancy Keeney Smith, LMT, is a Board-Certified Licensed Massage Therapist, Certified Lymph Drainage Therapist, author, and contributor to several books on scar tissue, and a Florida and NCBTMB Provider of Scar Management Workshops. Nancy’s Scar Management Workshops have been taught internationally, including the 5th International Fascia Congress in Berlin, Germany in 2018. Nancy is a co-author of Traumatic Scar Tissue Management, and contributing author to the book Integrative Pain Management. She has published research on pediatric burn scars and therapeutic massage, and is former 1st VP of the AMTA Florida Chapter, the National Lymphedema Association, and the Florida State Massage Therapy Association.
This on-demand video course.