Pharmacological Treatment of Heart Failure
This course serves to review both acute and chronic heart failure, including the risk factors for developing heart failure, signs and symptoms, and tests used in diagnosis of heart failure. In addition, common medications used to treat both acute and chronic heart failure are reviewed, as well as current guidelines for the treatment of chronic heart failure.
After completing this course, the learner will be able to:
- Discuss the causes of and risk factors for heart failure.
- Describe the signs and symptoms, classification levels, and tests used to diagnose heart failure.
- Explain comorbidities that can affect the development of heart failure.
- Discuss the treatment of chronic heart failure with pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions.
- Differentiate between the different classes of medications used in the treatment of chronic heart failure.
- Summarize the treatment guidelines for the treatment of chronic heart failure.
- Describe the different types of acute decompensated heart failure.
- Discuss the medications used in the treatment of acute decompensated heart failure.
Katie Ingersoll-Blair, Pharm.D., R.Ph. is a pharmacist and freelance writer specializing in pharmacy education. She works as a consultant pharmacist in Vancouver, Washington, serving long-term care facilities in the area. Katie also has over six years of experience working as a staff pharmacist at a community pharmacy in Seattle. She graduated from Northeastern University in Boston in 2009 with a Doctor of Pharmacy degree. Katie has done freelance work writing and revising continuing education programs for pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, and nurses, as well as writing practice questions for various pharmacy technician exams.
How to receive credit:
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 2-hour commitment of time.
- Complete the Self-Assessment Quiz Questions either integrated throughout or all at the end of the course. These questions are NOT GRADED. The questions are included to help affirm what you have learned from the course. The correct answer is shown after the question is answered. If the incorrect answer is selected, a Rationale for the correct answer is provided.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 70% or higher is required.
- Exam questions link content to the course Learning Objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- If requested, provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory Nursing Course Evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion
Activity Type - Knowledge-based
Target Audience - Pharmacists, Pharmacists Technicians
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
In accordance with the ANCC Standards for Commercial Support for continuing education, Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition
©2021: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up-to-date at the time of printing, but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
All individuals involved have disclosed that they have no significant financial or other conflicts of interest pertaining to this course. Likewise, and in compliance with California Assembly Bill No. 241, every reasonable effort has been made to ensure that the content in this course is balanced and unbiased.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a provider of continuing pharmaceutical education. (Provider #0607).