Getting Started with Wound Care Basics, 3/21/2024
About the Course:
Graduates of several healthcare professions have requirements within their practice act to evaluate and treat wounds. Yet, studies have shown that new health professionals are uncomfortable with wound care basics such as how to examine and evaluate wounds or set a plan of care in place that is adherent to established standards.
Getting Started with Wound Care Basics will educate the learner on how to complete appropriate and detailed wound assessments, identify the necessary wound debridement methods, and identify basic wound dressings that are most widely available in healthcare settings.
- Identify the layers and role of skin.
- Recognize the phases of wound healing process.
- Identify the most observed wounds.
- Recognize what is necessary for a detailed wound assessment.
- Identify the types of wound care debridement.
- Identify appropriate basic wound products.
- Recognize benefits of compression for specific wound types.
About the Author:
Bettina M. Brown is a physical therapist working in Albuquerque, New Mexico, having received her master’s degree in Physical Therapy from the University of New Mexico. She earned her board certification in wound care in 2016 through the American Board of Wound Healing. She has published an article entitled Managing Cutaneous Tuberculosis: A Case Study in the Ostomy and Wound Management Journal in 2017. Latera that year, she obtained her certification through the Klose Lymphedema Certification program in 2017. She primarily works with clients that have lymphedema due to breast cancer treatment, or due to vascular insufficiencies and chronic health co-morbidities.
How to Receive Credit
- View the entire recording which requires a 3-hour commitment of time.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2024: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or profession