Infectious Diseases Related to Domestic and International Travel
About the Course
This intermediate course is designed for respiratory therapists who may encounter infectious diseases related to domestic and international travel. It begins with a discussion of human migration and the spread of diseases, including contributing factors to the spread of infectious diseases. The course then focuses on specific bacterial, viral, fungal, helminth, and other types of infections and diseases, including causes, transmission, clinical features, diagnosis, treatment, prevention, and control that may affect travelers.
Upon the completion of this course, the learner will be able to
- Explain the contributing factors to the spread of infectious diseases related to travel, natural disasters, and zoonoses.
- Identify the cause, epidemiology, transmission, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, treatment, and approaches to prevention and control of bacterial diseases.
- Identify the cause, epidemiology, transmission, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, treatment, and approaches to prevention and control of helminthic infections.
- Discuss the cause, epidemiology, transmission, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, treatment, and approaches to prevention and control of protozoan pathogens.
- Discuss the cause, epidemiology, transmission, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, treatment, and approaches to prevention and control of viral pathogens.
- Discuss the cause, epidemiology, transmission, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, treatment, and approaches to prevention and control of fungal pathogens.
About the Author/Presenter
Kenneth Miller MEd, MSRT, RRT-ACCS, RRT-NPS, AE-C, FAARC, has practiced respiratory care for the past forty-six year. He has provided clinical management of patients with respiratory compromise in adult critical care units. He has extensive expertise managing mechanical ventilation patients with varying clinical etiologies. He has worked as a bedside therapist, clinical coordinator, and currently, is the clinical educator of respiratory care services at Lehigh Valley Health Network. He has been involved in many clinical trials, presented at local, national, and regional conference venues and has authored many peer journal articles. He is a current member of the AARC and was named a fellow of the AARC in 2016.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 3-hour commitment of time.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC’s Respiratory Care programs have been approved for Continuing Respiratory Care Education (CRCE) credit by the American Association for Respiratory Care, 9425, N. MacArthur Blvd, Suite 100, Irving TX 75063.