Management of Common Neuromuscular Disorders, 2nd Edition
- Explain the function of the neuromuscular junction as well as of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine (ACh).
- Describe the characteristics and signs and symptoms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), along with a typical treatment plan.
- Describe the characteristics and signs and symptoms of Guillain-Barré syndrome, along with a typical treatment plan.
- Describe the characteristics and signs and symptoms of myasthenia gravis, along with a typical treatment plan.
- List and describe other neuromuscular disorders.
About the Author:
Tammy A. Miller MEd, RRT, CPFT is the program chair of the respiratory care program at Southern Regional Technical College, where she has been teaching for 26 years. Ms. Miller teaches all degree-level courses in the respiratory care curriculum, as well as the technical diploma-level anatomy and physiology, medical terminology, and introduction-to-healthcare courses, as needed during faculty shortages. She also teaches degree-level psychology courses on an as-needed basis. Ms. Miller has been a respiratory therapist since 1984 and continues serving in clinical practice on the weekend supplemental staff pool in the regional healthcare system. She holds a diploma in respiratory therapy, a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology, and a Master of Education degree in technical and adult education. She recently completed the course work for a doctoral degree in industrial and organizational (I/O) psychology and is currently in the final stage of her dissertation proposal. Ms. Miller is credentialed by the National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC) as a registered respiratory therapist (RRT) and certified pulmonary function technologist (CPFT). She is certified as an instructor by the American Heart Association in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS), Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS), and Basic Life Support (BLS). She is also certified in Neonatal Resuscitation (NRP) by the American Academy of Pediatrics. Ms. Miller was named instructor of the year at Southern Regional Technical College in 1994 and in 2012. She served as a commissioner and site visitor on the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 1-hour commitment of time.
- Depending on your state requirements you will be asked to complete:
- A mandatory test (a passing score of 75 percent is required). Test questions link content to learning objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory Course Evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2020: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing, but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.