Preventing Pet Obesity
About the Course:
This course will provide information on the common causes of and treatments for obesity in pets. Definitions will be given and applied to the numerous conditions that both lead to and stem from pet obesity.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand obesity as a disease, prevention measures, and how to apply them.
- Recognize common risk factors for obesity.
- Apply communication skills and strategies to assist in client conversations about obesity.
- Understand the minimum protein requirements during weight loss in dogs and cats.
- Understand how to assess your patients for obesity.
- Develop and implement a weight-management plan.
About the Author
Erica Tramuta-Drobnis, VMD, MPH, CPH has developed courses for various audiences in her roles as a veterinarian and as a disaster responder. She has over 15 years of clinical veterinary experience in general practice and emergency and critical care and received her Master of Public Health (M.P.H.), in 2019. She is currently working to establish a niche that incorporates the fields of veterinary medicine and public health into a one health framework. She is a freelance writer and works in an emergency veterinary practice when she is not writing.