Treatment of Concussions in Children and Adolescents
About the Course
This podcast aims to provide an overview of concussion recovery for nurses & physical therapists working with children & adolescents to aid in appropriate referral. This will include signs & symptoms & treatment for individuals with an acute concussive injury and those with a history of multiple concussions.
Upon completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Identify the signs and symptoms of a concussion in children and adolescents.
- Differentiate between factual information and myths that can impact accurate diagnosis of concussions.
- Understand the unique recovery trajectory of children and adolescents compared to adults, enabling participants to provide tailored support and guidance.
- Provide brain-healthy recommendations for diet and exercise during post-concussion recovery, including knowledge of the top four beneficial and detrimental foods and liquids to consume.
About the Author/Presenter
Sally Fryer Dietz, PT, DPT, CST-D Cert.,has been a physical therapist since 1980. She received her Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy from the University of California, San Francisco, and her doctorate in Physical Therapy with a specialty in Pediatrics from the University of Texas Medical Branch. She is diplomat certified in CranioSacral therapy through the Upledger Institute in Florida and has received V2Fit Certification for vestibular and visual rehabilitation and imPACT certification for concussion treatment. She has participated in multiple concussion-intensive programs and studies with the Upledger Institute and the Ricky Williams Foundation. She has also received advanced vestibular and visual rehabilitation training, Dynavision Technology, and Interactive Metronome. She is licensed in physical therapy in both Texas and California. She is an internationally recognized Physical Therapist, Sensory Integration Specialist, and Author, Sally Fryer Dietz founded Integrative Concussion Therapy in response to a growing need for comprehensive concussion care.
How to Receive Credit
- Listen to the entire recording which requires a 1-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 75% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.