Integrative and Comprehensive Trauma Treatment, 3rd Edition
About the Course
This intermediate-level course summarizes the theories on understanding trauma from psychological, developmental, and neurobiological perspectives; discusses various forms of trauma treatment; introduces the reader to integrative approaches to healing that reflect a holistic perspective; and explains practitioner self-care and the prevention of secondary or vicarious traumatization. Case vignettes throughout highlight key learning concepts.
Upon the completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Describe the evolution of the present understanding of traumatology and posttraumatic stress disorder.
- Identify the core features of reactions to trauma and their long-term effects.
- Identify the effects of trauma on childhood well-being and development.
- Discuss the relationship between trauma and neurobiology and its effects on trauma survivors.
- Explain the nature of dissociative phenomena and its effect on treatment approaches.
- Name challenging conditions and behaviors that co-occur with posttraumatic stress disorder.
- Discuss the principles of the therapeutic relationship and the necessary approach to treatment for working with trauma survivors.
- Explain phase-oriented and group approaches to trauma treatment.
- Describe integrative and holistic approaches to trauma treatment.
- Recognize the principles of provider self-care for the prevention of vicarious traumatization
About the Author/Presenter
Michelle Ertl, PsyD, CST, is a clinical psychologist working in private practice, specializing in the treatment of trauma and sex-related conditions. Dr. Ertl received her PsyD in clinical psychology from Indiana State University. She completed a residency at the Mountain Home VA and a post-doctoral fellowship specializing in the treatment of PTSD at the Salt Lake City VA. Dr. Ertl is also an AASECT certified sex therapist.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 9-hour commitment of time.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6341. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Colibri Healthcare, LLC is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Colibri Healthcare, LLC maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Most states accept courses offered by APA approved sponsors.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC (formerly Elite Professional Education, LLC), Provider Number 1147, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 5/5/2023 – 5/5/2026.