Substance Use Disorders: Assessment and Treatment, 2nd Edition
About the Course
This intermediate-level course is intended for social workers, marriage and family therapists, mental health counselors, and psychologists. The course provides information on the scope of substance-related problems in the United States; the different categories of substances that are commonly abused and their neurochemical effects on the human brain and an individual’s biopsychosocial functioning; the major theories of addictions and different screening, assessment, and diagnostic instruments; the benefits and limitations of different intervention and evidence-based treatment approaches; and the unique needs of various populations affected by substance use disorders.
- Recognize the scope of substance use problems in the United States.
- Identify the neurobiologic effects of substances on the human brain.
- Describe the effect of commonly abused substances on an individual’s biopsychosocial functioning.
- Describe the major theories of addictions and their implications for intervention.
- Recognize the different screening, assessment, and diagnostic instruments and approaches.
- Describe the benefits and limitations of different intervention and treatment approaches.
- Recognize the unique effects of different contexts on substance use disorder.
About the Author/Presenter
Marilou VerBurg Erb, MA, MS, JD, PhD (abd), has over 28 years of experience in the legal and psychology fields in the areas of criminal prosecution and behavioral analysis. As she continues her certifications, she is concluding a professional certificate in death investigation and has recently obtained a certification in the area of criminal profiling. She currently teaches general psychology, psychology and the law, substance abuse, forensic psychology, and psychology of emotion and terrorism, among other subjects at York College of Pennsylvania. Erb is a Fulbright specialist in criminal law and is affiliated with the National College of Ireland in Dublin and University College Cork in Cork, Ireland. Erb has multiple degrees, including bachelor’s and master’s degrees in both forensic psychology and psychology, and a juris doctorate. She is currently in the final stages of her dissertation and will soon obtain her PhD in forensic psychology/criminal justice concentration.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 6-hour commitment of time.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2024: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Colibri Healthcare, LLC maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Most states accept courses offered by APA approved sponsors.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6341. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Colibri Healthcare, LLC is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC (formerly Elite Professional Education, LLC), Provider Number 1147, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 5/5/2023 – 5/5/2026.