Review of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation for Certified Nursing Assistants, 2nd Edition
About the Course
This course is for reviewing and updating information only. It is neither intended for CPR/AED Certification, nor is it for recertification. It is written for the certified nursing assistant that may be closest to the victim when a cardiac event occurs. The CNA must know how to activate the Emergency Response System (ERS) and begin life-saving procedures -- until licensed providers can take over.
Upon completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Identify the indicators for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and automatic electronic defibrillators (AED).
- List the 2020 American Heart Association (AHA) guideline changes.
- Explain the hands-only CPR procedures and why it was developed.
- Describe how the AED affects the heart and how to apply the procedure.
- Compare and contrast the difference in performing CPR on an adult, a child, and an infant.
- Explain how to identify a victim who is choking.
- Explain the steps to complete a Heimlich maneuver on a choking adult or child.
About the Author
Terry Argent, MSN, RN, is the Academic Coordinator and Learning Management Systems (LMS) coordinator at Jackson Hospital & Clinic in Montgomery, Alabama. She received her Master of Science in oncology nursing from the University of Alabama Birmingham. She has maintained her national certification as an oncology nurse since 1991.?Terry is passionate about oncology nursing, mentoring oncology nurses, teaching classes on cancer, oncology treatments, and administration concerns, and guiding nurses beyond cancer care and treatment towards a prevention focus.?In her position as Academic Coordinator at Jackson Hospital she works with local healthcare professional schools to provide clinical experiences and promote internships and preceptorships within the facility.?She is also responsible for the Nurse Residency Program for new graduate nurses.?As part of her role as LMS coordinator, she creates many different types of learning experiences to meet the needs of the organization, along with those of regulatory agencies. She is an active instructor of basic life support for American Heart Association courses.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 1-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 75% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest*
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.