Texas Laws and Regulations for Ethical Practice In Counseling
About the Course
This basic-level course will provide information specific to the state of Texas on ethical counseling practice. Topics will include state and federal legal guidelines, national association codes of ethics, issues of ethical concern in counseling, decision-making models, and guidelines to promote ethical practice. This course meets the requirements listed in the Texas Administrative Code, referred to as TAC, for the six-hour continuing education requirement in ethics for counseling practice. TAC including the Occupational Code, Counseling and Therapy Acts, the Texas Family Code, and HIPAA regulations will be reviewed.
- List and define ethical requirements from the Texas Administrative Code professional counselor rules of practice.
- Identify values, principles, and standards of the American Counseling Association, American School Counselor Association, and American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy Code of Ethics.
- List the directives from the National Board for Certified Counselors.
- Define regulations and standards for confidentiality and required reporting.
- Explain regulations and standards for maintaining professional boundaries with clients.
- List the guidelines for technology- assisted counseling.
- Identify common ethical violations in counseling and best practice strategies to prevent them.
- Explain the process of shared decision-making models.
About the Author
Deborah Converse obtained a bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Stetson University and a master’s degree in Exceptional Student Education in Emotional Disabilities from the University of Central Florida. She holds National Board Certification as Exceptional Needs Specialist, Birth-21+. She has served as a teacher, principal, mentor, department chair, and performance evaluator. Deborah wrote two career education programs, “Special Partnership in Career Education” and “Supported Work and Training”, that were adopted nationally . As a trainer/evaluator, she wrote “SOS: Share Our Skills” which is a guide for professional mentoring. Deborah served as an expert witness for Florida and Hawaii departments of education and assisted in writing state educational standards.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print.
- Answer the final examination questions at the end of the course. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6341. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Colibri Healthcare, LLC is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.