Cultural Competency: Strategies for Mitigating Implicit Biases for NV Healthcare Professionals
Preview this course before you buy: Click to view the CE course eBook
About the Course
The purpose of this course is to meet mandatory implicit bias training standards. While the causes of health disparities are multifactorial, researchers have identified that unconscious biases affect clinicians’ perceptions of others, influencing decisions and actively contributing to health inequalities. Typically, implicit biases are negative and unintentionally lead to disparities in patient–provider interactions, treatment decisions, and overall access to care. The purpose of implementing implicit bias training is to emphasize to healthcare providers a modifiable risk known to play a role in the causation of health disparities.
Upon completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Evaluate the areas of the brain that are involved in unconscious thought and biases.
- Differentiate implicit and explicit biases.
- Identify factors that contribute to the development of biases.
- Describe the effects of implicit bias within healthcare.
- Evaluate the relationship between implicit bias and healthcare disparities.
- Recognize strategies to remedy the negative impact of implicit biases when providing within healthcare.
About the Author/Presenter
Dr. Candace Pierce is a nurse leader committed to ensuring nurses are well prepared and offered abundant opportunities and resources to enhance their skills acquisition and confidence at the bedside. With over 15 years in nursing, she has worked at the bedside, in management, and in nursing education. She has demonstrated expertise and scholarship in innovation and design thinking in healthcare and education, and collaborative efforts within and outside of healthcare. Scholarship endeavors include funded grants, publications, and presentations. As a leader, Dr. Pierce strives to empower others to create and deploy ideas and embrace their professional roles as leaders, change agents, and problem solvers. In her position as the Sr. Course Development Manager for Elite, she works as a project engineer with subject matter experts to develop evidence-based best practices in continuing education for nurses and other healthcare professionals.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 4-hour commitment of time.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2024: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.