Speech Generating Devices: Access, Vision, and Mounting
About the Course:
Speech Generating Devices (SGDs) are typically recommended by a team, often including the speech language pathologist and occupational therapist. The occupational therapist determines optimal client position and device position. The access method must also be determined and may include Direct, Mouse, Eye Gaze, or Switch scanning. If switch access is required, the team must determine the optimal switch site and type, as well as the best scanning strategies. Switch scanning training may be required. The client's visual abilities will impact use of the SGD and must be considered. Finally, mounting is required to secure the SGD for optimal visual regard, security and safety.
- Identify clinical indicators for Direct Access to speech generating devices.
- Identify clinical indicators for Mouse Access to speech generating devices.
- Identify clinical indicators for Eye Gaze Access to speech generating devices.
- Identify clinical indicators for Switch Access to speech generating devices.
- Identify an optimal switch site for a client needing to use switch access.
- Identify an optimal switch type for a client needing to use switch access.
- Identify strategies to develop switch scanning skills to improve occupational performance.
- Identify how cortical vision impairment impacts speech generating device use.
- Identify speech generating device mounting considerations.
About the Author:
Michelle L. Lange is an occupational therapist with over 30 years of experience and has been in private practice, Access to Independence, for over 15 years. She is a well-respected lecturer, both nationally and internationally and has authored numerous texts, chapters, and articles. She is the co-editor of Seating and Wheeled Mobility: a clinical resource guide, editor of Fundamentals in Assistive Technology, 4th ed., NRRTS Continuing Education Curriculum Coordinator and Clinical Editor of NRRTS Directions magazine. Michelle is a RESNA Fellow and member of the Clinician Task Force. Michelle is a certified ATP, certified SMS and is a Senior Disability Analyst of the ABDA.
How to Receive Credit
- Watch the entire video course.
- Answer the final examination questions at the end of the course. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.