Therapeutic Yoga after Knee Replacement
About the Course
This course explores how therapeutic yoga can be used as a therapy intervention to treat patients after a Total Knee Replacement (TKA). It provides information on the prevalence of knee osteoarthritis and replacement surgery, examines the basic principles of yoga and its musculoskeletal benefits, and reviews conventional therapeutic management of TKAs. It also details specific yoga poses and modifications shown to improve range of motion, strength, flexibility, and balance for the TKA patient.
- Recognize the etiology, prevalence, and impacts of knee osteoarthritis and replacement surgeries on our society and individual occupational performance
- Describe the foundations of yoga as used in a therapeutic setting.
- Apply current evidence-based literature regarding the use of yoga poses for knee osteoarthritis and replacement rehabilitation.
- Identify yoga poses that have been shown to activate knee musculature to ultimately positively improve occupational performance.
- Implement evidence-based therapeutic yoga poses shown to improve range of motion, strength, and balance after Total Knee Replacement musculature to ultimately positively improve occupational performance.
- Recognize the utilization of props in the various poses to address performance barriers
About the Author:
Jessica Rassmann, PT, DPT, is a physical therapist with almost a decade of clinical experience in outpatient orthopedic settings. Jessica earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science from Florida State University, and a Doctoral Degree in Physical Therapy from the University of Central Florida. Her professional interests include Vestibular Rehabilitation and the McKenzie Method of Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy (MDT). Jessica is certified in Instrument Assisted Soft-Tissue Mobilization, Kinesio Taping, and is currently working on her MDT certification. As a clinician Jessica regularly mentors students as a Clinical Instructor to ensure the preservation of evidence-based care in the next generation of health care providers. She also works as a contracted specialist providing utilization review (UR) to make determinations around medical necessity and appropriateness of care involving physical therapy cases.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 1-hour commitment of time.
- Complete a mandatory test (a passing score of 75% is required). Test questions link content to learning objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development (Provider #9118). The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA or indicate AOTA approval of a certification or other professional recognition.