Understanding, Recognizing, and Mitigating Implicit Biases in Healthcare
About the Course
While the causes of health disparities are multifactorial, researchers have identified that unconscious biases affect clinicians’ perceptions of others, influencing decisions and actively contributing to health inequalities. Typically, implicit biases are negative and unintentionally lead to disparities in patient–provider interactions, treatment decisions, and overall access to care.
The purpose of implementing implicit bias training is to emphasize to healthcare providers a modifiable risk known to play a role in the causation of health disparities. This interactive course incorporates several features to engage learners in the topic of implicit bias and promote active participation. Included in the course are:
- Self-assessment questions to encourage reflection and assess your understanding of the topic.
- Video segments featuring experts in the field of diversity and inclusion.
- Poll questions to enable participation with other learners.
- Case studies to allow learners to apply their knowledge in practical scenarios.
Upon completion of this course, the learner should be able to:
- Evaluate the areas of the brain that are involved in unconscious thought and biases.
- Differentiate implicit and explicit biases.
- Identify factors that contribute to the development of biases.
- Describe the effects of implicit bias within healthcare.
- Evaluate the relationship between implicit bias and healthcare disparities.
- Recognize strategies to remedy the negative impact of implicit biases when providing within healthcare.
About the Author
Dr. Candace Pierce, DNP, RN, CNE, COI, is a nurse leader committed to ensuring nurses are well prepared and offered abundant opportunities and resources to enhance their skills acquisition and confidence at the bedside. With 15 years in nursing, she has worked at the bedside, in management, and in nursing education. She has demonstrated expertise and scholarship in innovation and design thinking in healthcare and education, and collaborative efforts within and outside of healthcare. Scholarship endeavors include funded grants, publications, and presentations. As a leader, Dr. Pierce strives to empower others to create and deploy ideas and embrace their professional roles as leaders, change agents, and problem solvers. In her position as the lead nurse planner for Elite, she works as a project engineer with subject matter experts to develop evidence-based best practices in continuing education for nurses and other healthcare professionals.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print and participate in the video and activity portion of the course.
- At the end of the course, complete the final examination with a passing score of 75% or higher is required. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development (Provider #9118). The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA or indicate AOTA approval of a certification or other professional recognition.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is designated as a Nationally Approved PACE Program Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit. Approval does not imply acceptance by any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement. Current approval period is 1/1/2022 to 12/31/2025; Provider ID# 217536.
AGD code - 558
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a provider of continuing pharmaceutical education. (Provider #0607).