Hospice and Palliative Care
About the Course
This course provides an overview of hospice and palliative care and describes care that meets the physical, psychological, social, and spiritual needs of suffering patients and families. Palliative care is the overarching supportive approach that helps seriously ill patients and families address problems and improve their quality of life (Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research [MFMER], 2021). Hospice is a type of palliative care specifically for those that have a terminal disease and life-limiting prognosis. The course will review theoretical models of the dying process, the psychological and physical symptoms as death approaches, misconceptions and barriers to providing end-of-life care.
- Describe the purpose of both hospice and palliative care and how they address life-limiting illness for the patient and family.
- Define and explain the relationship between hospice and palliative care and how they contribute to the improvement of quality of life of patients with life-limiting illness.
- Describe the settings, patient population, and incidence of hospice care delivery in the United States.
- Identify the different levels of hospice care, services provided, and Medicare (CMS) eligibility requirements.
- Discuss the Medicare Hospice Benefit and performance measures required for hospice programs.
- Discuss different types of population-based palliative care.
- Explain the delivery of hospice and palliative care including the support required for patients and families with life-limiting illness.
- Identify misconceptions and barriers to providing hospice and palliative care.
- Discuss professional and educational resources clinicians can provide to support patients and families coping with life-limiting illness as well as healthcare professionals caring for them.
About the Author
Simona Pozzetto, LICSW was born and raised in Italy, where she obtained her bachelor's degree in Psychology. After moving to Massachusetts, Ms. Pozzetto achieved her MSW and completed the Certificate Program in Jewish Communal and Clinical Social Work at Simmons College and Hebrew College in 2003. Ms. Pozzetto worked in community mental health clinics and long-term care facilities as a clinical therapist, initially focusing on children and adolescents, then mostly on adults and the elderly. In 2014, Ms. Pozzetto obtained her LICSW, and after a few years in management, in 2020, opened a private practice. During her career, Ms. Pozzetto has specialized in trauma work, dissociative disorders, mood disorders, and end-of-life issues. In June 2021, Ms. Pozzetto obtained her Certified Grief Informed Professional (CGP) Certification.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print.
- Answer the final examination questions at the end of the course. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC, Provider 1147, formerly Elite Professional Education, LLC, is approved to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Organizations, not individual courses, are approved as ACE Providers. State and provincial regulatory boards have the final authority to determine whether an individual course may be accepted for continuing education credit. Colibri Healthcare, LLC maintains responsibility for this course. ACE Provider approval period: 5/5/2020 to 5/5/2023.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6341. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Colibri Healthcare, LLC is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs. Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling (Provider #50-4007). Colibri Healthcare, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved Provider of continuing education for Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists #MFT-0026. Colibri Healthcare, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Mental Health Practitioners as an approved Provider of continuing education for Licensed Mental Health Counselors #MHC-0040.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Colibri Healthcare, LLC maintains respons