Illicit Drug Usage in the United States - 2 hrs
About the Course
This course provides the status of drug misuse in the United States and presents common substances, triggers, and interventions that are proving to have successful impacts.
- State the severity of drug abuse in the United States.
- Differentiate between club and prescription drug abuse.
- List five club drugs and associated street names.
- Identify the most frequently abused prescription drug types and examples of each type.
- Describe three new emerging drug trends.
- Describe the impact the COVID-19 pandemic has had on drug abuse and overdoses.
- Discuss how abusing drugs influences the patient outcomes who develop COVID-19.
- Describe priorities for assessment and care when dealing with a patient who has abused drugs.
- Describe at least three elements of the national drug control strategy.
About the Author/Presenter
??Kelly Crum is an independent domestic and international nursing educational consultant. Crum earned a BS in Nursing (1990) from Pensacola Christian College in Pensacola, Florida.?She has an MS in Nursing (1995) with a focus in maternal, child nursing, curriculum development, and nursing education from the University of South Alabama. Crum is currently pursuing a Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (ABD) from the University?of Phoenix. Her research is focused on the lived experience of the 2020 graduates’ transition to nursing practice during the COVID-19 pandemic.?Most recently, Crum served as the director of nursing at Maranatha Baptist University and then Bob Jones University. Crum has served as nursing faculty at Pensacola Christian College, Maranatha Baptist University, and Bob Jones University. Crum is a published author who currently works on a 48-bed oncology unit at Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center.
?Marianna Pascuzzi has worked as a hospital Senior Pharmacy Technician in Warren, Pennsylvania, since 2019. Prior to her hospital experience, Marianna worked more than 15 years in retail settings at both chain and independent pharmacies. Pascuzzi initially earned her CPhT certificate in 2010 and retook the exam in 2019. Marianna holds a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management with a minor in Marketing. Marianna serves as the Primary Vaccine Coordinator for Warren General Hospital’s Vaccine for Children program. She also serves her community as a volunteer Emergency Medical Technician.??
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC (formerly Elite Professional Education, LLC), Provider Number 1147, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 5/5/2023 – 5/5/2026.