LGBTQ+ Cultural Competency for Healthcare Professionals
About the Course
This course will provide instruction on cultural competency and specialized clinical training focusing on patients who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender nonconforming, queer, or question their sexual orientation or gender identity and expression (“LGBTQ”). The instruction will provide information and skills to enable a health professional to care effectively and respectfully for patients who identify as LGBTQ.
Upon the completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Define culturally relevant terminology that demonstrates cultural sensitivity and understanding.
- Describe intersectionality and the impact of intersecting systems of discrimination and oppression on emotional, physical and social well-being.
- Identify risk factors, health disparities, and strategies for minimization.
- Identify legal obligations related to treating patients.
- Describe guidelines and best practices for data storage, including appropriate collection, use, storing of sexual orientation and gender identify information.
- Identify personal and cultural biases to challenge or correct within a culturally competent practice.
- Discuss ways to engage and train support staff.
About the Author/Presenter
Julie Wallin Culligan, PhD, FAIHM, MEd, NBC-HWC, CYT-200, is a Psychologist and Whole Health Program Director at the James H. Quillen VA Medical Center, as well as Assistant Clinical Professor at the Quillen School of Medicine Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Medicine. She served the Veterans Health Administration Office of Patient Centered Care & Cultural Transformation as both the National Champion for Whole Health Coaching, acting as the national field advisor for health coaching, and Whole Health National Education Champion. Dr. Culligan completed a Fellowship in Integrative Medicine from the Academy of Integrative Health & Medicine, as a Social Impact Scholar. Dr. Culligan is passionate about integrative mental health and healthcare transformation, and she enjoys lake and mountain life in NE Tennessee.
How to Receive Credit
- View the entire recording which requires a 3-hour commitment of time.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2024: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Colibri Healthcare, LLC maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Most states accept courses offered by APA approved sponsors.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6341. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Colibri Healthcare, LLC is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC (formerly Elite Professional Education, LLC), Provider Number 1147, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 5/5/2023 - 5/5/2026.