Mental Health Concerns and the Older Adult
About the Course
The healthcare worker meeting mental health needs will be able to view the older adult within the context of aging theories and identify interpersonal connection, biopsychosocial elements, and the assessment and treatment for common mental health problems in the older adult. The target audience is any healthcare worker who will assess, intervene, or treat mental health needs of an older adult client. Registered nurses, mental health technicians, mental health providers, case managers, and primary care healthcare workers can benefit from the perspective provided by this course.
- Examine the most common theories on aging, developmental tasks, and reflection from the older adult perspective.
- Evaluate essential components of the therapeutic alliance with the older adult.
- Demonstrate verbal communication styles that enhance the interpersonal connection with the older adult.
- Differentiate the social determinants of health and the barriers to care for the older adult.
- Select recommended assessment considerations for the older adult.
- Appraise biopsychosocial considerations for the assessment for the older adult.
- Analyze crisis, loss, grief, and bereavement for the older adult.
- Distinguish risk factors, treatment, and recovery for the older adult with a mental health diagnosis.
About the Author
Mary Perry, MSN, RN, PMHNP-BC, is a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner board certified across the life span. She also holds a board certification as a clinical nurse leader. Her background is medical-surgical, aerospace medicine, military contingency aeromedical evacuation support, and mental healthcare. She received her BSN in 2006 from The University of Alabama at Birmingham, her MSN in 2016, and a postgraduate certificate in 2020 from The University of Alabama. Her previous employment includes the U.S. Air Force as an active-duty nurse; the U.S. Navy in Okinawa, Japan, as an independent contract nurse; and at Troy University in Montgomery, Alabama, as an adjunct professor.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print.
- Depending on your profession you will either Affirm completion of this course or you will need to complete the final exam with a passing score of 75% or higher. Exam questions link content to the course Learning Outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory Course Evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.?
Resolution of Conflict of Interest*
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.?
©2022: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.?
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider?of nursing continuing?professional development?by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.?
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a provider of continuing pharmaceutical education. (Provider #0607).
Colibri Healthcare, LLC has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6341. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Colibri Healthcare, LLC is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Colibri Healthcare, LLC maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Most states accept courses offered by APA approved sponsors.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC (formerly Elite Professional Education, LLC), Provider Number 1147, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 5/5/2023 – 5/5/2026