Understanding Obesity and Eating Disorders
About the Course
Eating disorders and obesity are issues that healthcare workers confront on a regular basis. This course provides current information about the disorders, triggers, and strategies to help clients recover from eating disorders and overcome obesity and achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle for their height and age.
Upon the completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Define the various recognized eating disorders.
- Discuss the incidence and prevalence of recognized eating disorders.
- Explain possible factors that influence the development of eating disorders.
- Identify the diagnostic criteria for recognized eating disorders.
- Discuss treatment interventions for recognized eating disorders.
- Identify healthcare interventions for clients with recognized eating disorders.
- Describe other specified feeding or eating disorders.
- Define obesity.
- Discuss the incidence and prevalence of obesity in the United States.
- Identify the causes of obesity.
- Explain the consequences of obesity in adults and children.
- State interventions to prevent and reduce obesity in adults and children.
- Explain the dangers of fad diets and quick weight loss schemes.
- Discuss options for weight loss surgery.
- Identify healthcare interventions for clients with obesity.
About the Author/Presenter
Anne Horgan is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in the state of Oregon. She is currently a mental health therapist within a small group practice in Portland, OR and a board approved Clinical Supervisor. Ms. Horgan has 15+ years of experience including
hospital/emergency room mental health services, hospital leadership, and providing therapy in individual and group settings (Partial Hospital Program). Throughout her clinical professional experience, she has worked with individuals across the spectrum including (but not limited to) depressive disorders, anxiety and panic, PTSD, postpartum mental health, self-esteem/identity conflicts, psychosis, mania, adjustment issues, parenting, substance use, relationship conflicts and loss. Ms. Horgan earned her BA in Psychology and her master's in social work. She has training through the Center through Mind Body Medicine as part of her work with clients
How to Receive Credit
Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 4-hour commitment of time.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6341. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Colibri Healthcare, LLC is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Colibri Healthcare, LLC maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Most states accept courses offered by APA approved sponsors.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC (formerly Elite Professional Education, LLC), Provider Number 1147, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 5/5/2023 – 5/5/2026.