Dispensing Veterinary Prescription Drugs: An Overview
About the Course
This course fulfills Florida’s requirement for one hour of continuing professional education in the area of dispensing prescription drugs. After completing this course, veterinarians will have renewed familiarity with the rules and regulations surrounding prescription drug dispensing, including recent changes related to the prescribing of compounded drugs.
Upon the completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Identify the agencies involved and areas of responsibility for federal regulation of animal health products, including animal drugs, feed, and devices.
- List FDA regulations for dispensing veterinary prescription drugs, including labeling requirements.
- List requirements for use of VFD drugs.
- Describe the conditions under which veterinarians may prescribe extra-label drugs.
- Describe the impacts of GFI 256, new guidance on the compounding of animal drugs from bulk substances.
About the Author/Presenter
Catherine Barnette, DVM, is part of a two-doctor corporate practice that has an emphasis on wellness care, elective surgery, as well as illness and emergency care for canine, feline, and exotic patients. She is able to quickly and efficiently explain medical concepts to her clients in heavy caseload situations. She enjoys mentoring newly graduated veterinarians in medical and surgical care as well as client communication. She earned her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine and her Bachelor of Science in Zoology from the University of Florida.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 1-hour commitment of time.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.