Family Violence: Implications for Dental Patients and Practice in Connecticut
About the Course
Members of the dental team must become more aware of the problem of family violence to help prevent abuse and neglect. Clinical protocols can easily be modified to include identification and intervention for cases of suspected abuse and neglect. By applying the knowledge of symptomatology obtained in this basic-level course and providing appropriate intervention, every member of the dental team can help stem the epidemic of family violence.
- Discuss the demographics, contributing factors, and reporting protocols of child abuse and neglect.
- Discuss the demographics, contributing factors, and reporting protocols of intimate partner violence.
- Discuss the demographics, contributing factors, and reporting protocols of abuse of people with disabilities.
- Discuss the demographics, contributing factors, and reporting protocols of elder abuse and neglect.
- Differentiate the physical signs of family violence from accidental injuries or other physical conditions.
- Describe education and prevention efforts to combat family violence.
- Explain Connecticut state laws and regulations governing the roles and responsibilities of dental professionals on issues of child abuse and maltreatment.
About the Author
Mark J. Szarejko, DDS, received his dental degree from the State University of New York at Buffalo in 1985 and received a fellowship from the Academy of General Dentistry in 1994. He has been in private practice for 16 years, with the balance involved in correctional (county jail) dentistry. In 2007 he received the Certified Correctional HealthCare Professional (CCHP) designation from the National Commission of Correctional Healthcare. He has authored and edited several dental continuing education courses and has given presentations on varied topics to local, regional, and national audiences. He has been an examiner for the dental and dental hygiene licensure exams?for the Northeastern Regional Boards (NERBS), now the Commission on Dental Competency Assessments, since 1994. He has reviewed standard of care cases for the state of Florida and for private companies.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print.
- Complete a mandatory test (a passing score of 75% is required). Test questions link content to learning objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is an ADA CERP Recognized Provider. ADA CERP is a service of the American Dental Association to assist dental professionals in identifying quality providers of continuing dental education. ADA CERP does not approve or endorse individual courses or instructors, nor does it imply acceptance of credit hours by boards of dentistry.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is designated as a Nationally Approved PACE Program Provider for FAGD/MAGD credit. Approval does not imply acceptance by any regulatory authority or AGD endorsement. Current approval period is 1/1/2022 to 12/31/2025; Provider ID# 217536.
AGD - 156