Assessment and Prevention of Suicide
About the Course
This course provides a comprehensive exploration of suicide in the United States, covering its background, statistical data, etiology, and risk factors, as well as treatment and management approaches. Special attention is given to addressing the risk of imminent harm through effective communication strategies, with a particular focus on the veteran and healthcare worker populations. The course is designed for all healthcare professionals who are involved in the care of individuals and veterans at risk for suicide.
Upon the completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Recognize the incidence and frequency of suicide in the United States.
- Identify the risk factors associated with suicide.
- Recognize prevalent mental health disorders correlated with suicide risk.
- Distinguish assessment techniques and tools for suicide prevention.
- Differentiate ethical and legal considerations for suicidal patients.
- Examine skills to enhance the therapeutic relationship for suicide prevention.
- Identify collaborative care components and interventions for suicide prevention.
- Recognize treatment and management strategies for suicide prevention.
- Identify at risk populations for suicide.
- Identify resources for suicide prevention.
About the Author/Presenter
Mary Perry is a psychiatric mental health nurse practitioner board certified across the lifespan. She received her BSN in 2006 from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, her MSN in 2016, and a postgraduate certificate in 2020 from the University of Alabama. Her previous employment includes the United States Air Force as an active-duty nurse, the United States Navy in Okinawa, Japan as an independent contract nurse, and Troy University in Montgomery, Alabama as an adjunct professor.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 4-hour commitment of time.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.