Fundamentals of Telehealth: Registered Nursing Practice in the Virtual Care Environment, 2nd Edition
About the Course
This course will explore basic telehealth concepts and technology applicable to the registered nurse. It will examine the role of the telehealth nurse, review legal and regulatory concerns, and changes brought about by the Covid-19 pandemic. Distinguishing how traditional nursing care translates to the virtual practice environment is essential to preserving the art and science of nursing in the virtual care environment. Exploration of these issues will occur through a review of how nurses know nursing, know the patient, and know technology.
Upon the completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Characterize basic telehealth concepts, including application to healthcare, barriers and benefits, telehealth programs, and telehealth service delivery systems.
- Differentiate between the basic types of telehealth technologies and their application to practice.
- Examine roles of the registered nurse in the virtual care environment.
- Examine application of telehealth in natural disasters, healthcare emergencies/crises, and epidemics and pandemics.
- Apply legal and regulatory considerations to telehealth nursing practice.
- Distinguish how traditional nursing care translates to the virtual practice environment.
- Appraise telehealth competencies for the registered nurse in the virtual care environment.
About the Author/Presenter
Joan Taylor, DNP, APRN, FNP-C, is an experienced nurse practitioner with 29 years of nursing experience in a variety of nursing areas including nursing education and clinical practice. She holds a BSN, an MSN, a Family Nurse Practitioner Certification, and a Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), and she is currently a faculty member for Purdue Global University School of Nursing. Dr Taylor has previously taught in BSN and MSN programs and is currently teaching in the DNP program. In addition to her academic role, she is also a certified family nurse practitioner in clinical practice that includes clinical telehealth. Dr Taylor’s achievements include collaborating in policy development and implementation of telemedicine, conference presentations, and publishing an article on telehealth. Dr Taylor serves on university and community committees and is a member of various professional organizations. Recently, she received a DAISY Award for Extraordinary Nursing Faculty for the DNP. Her research interests include population health, health disparities, mental health, innovative educational technology, and student stress in online learning.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 4-hour commitment of time.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.