Promoting Patient Safety-A Focus on Falls Prevention
About the Course
The purpose of this comprehensive fall prevention course is to equip healthcare professionals with the essential knowledge, skills, and collaboration techniques to identify fall risk factors, conduct effective fall risk assessments, implement evidence-based prevention strategies, and foster a multidisciplinary approach to enhance patient safety in healthcare settings. By the end of the course, participants should be able to confidently identify fall risk factors, execute evidence-based prevention techniques, and communicate effectively with patients and their families to enhance patient safety and reduce fall incidents in healthcare settings.
Upon the completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Recognize the definition and significant impact of falls in healthcare settings.
- Identify statistics and prevalence rates of falls across different patient populations.
- Apply a multidisciplinary approach to fall prevention, collaborating effectively as a team of nurses, occupational therapists, and physical therapists to enhance patient safety and reduce fall-related incidents.
- Identify the intrinsic and extrinsic risk factors associated with falls.
- Choose appropriate fall risk assessment tools and techniques to accurately evaluate a patient's fall risk level and develop personalized fall prevention strategies.
- Recognize the importance of a multidisciplinary approach to fall prevention for enhancing patient safety in healthcare settings.
- Summarize effective communication strategies to educate patients and their families on fall prevention strategies, fostering active engagement in promoting patient safety in healthcare settings.
- Recognize the steps of a root cause analysis of a fall for improvements in fall prevention programs.
- Identify an effective healthcare after falls action plan, encompassing post-fall assessments, healthcare team communication, and post-fall debriefing.
About the Author/Presenter
Robin McCormick is a registered nurse with a research focus in vulnerable populations, maternal-child outcomes, and adult health. She has over 20 years of clinical nursing experience working in medical-surgical nursing and critical care. She received a BSN from Troy University, MSN from the University of South Alabama, and a Doctorate of Nursing Practice at Troy University. She worked an assistant professor of nursing at Troy University for over six years.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 2-hour commitment of time.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development (Provider #9118). The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA or indicate AOTA approval of a certification or other professional recognition.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is a recognized Physical Therapy continuing education Provider by the following: California Physical Therapy Association Approved CE Program status number CPTAAP-28, Florida Board of Physical Therapy Practice (Provider #50-4007); Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (Physical Therapy Sponsor #216.000315); Oklahoma Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision Physical Therapy Approved Provider (Provider #BAP202310050; expires 12/31/2023); South Carolina Board of Physical Therapy (Provider #50-4007); and Texas Physical Therapy Association (Provider #2411048TX). Colibri Healthcare, LLC is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Physical Therapy as an approved sponsor of continuing education for Physical Therapists and Physical Therapy Assistants. Individual courses are approved through: the Louisiana Physical Therapy Board; Maryland Board of Physical Therapy Examiners; New Jersey State Board of Physical Therapy Examiners; and Ohio Physical Therapy Association. Colibri Healthcare, LLC's Ethics and Jurisprudence courses are approved by the APTA Georgia; Ethics, Laws, and Rules, for Hawaii Physical Therapists course is approved by the Hawaii Board of Physical Therapy; Ethics and Jurisprudence for the Indiana Physical Therapy & Physical Therapist Assistant course is approved by the APTA Indiana; and Ethics, Laws, and Rules, for Tennessee Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistants courses are approved by the Tennessee Department of Health’s Board of Physical Therapy. Colibri Healthcare, LLC's courses are approved