Tobacco, E-cigarette and Nicotine Product Use Among Youth
About the Course
This comprehensive course equips nurses and health professionals with essential knowledge and skills to address the pressing youth tobacco and nicotine epidemic. Participants will gain a deep understanding of prevention and control strategies to reduce youth access and use and effective screening and cessation strategies for nicotine dependency. The course emphasizes the detrimental impact of commercial tobacco, the leading cause of preventable disease, disability, and death in the United States, and highlights the risks posed by various tobacco products, including e-cigarettes. Participants will explore the addictive properties of nicotine, its detrimental effects on brain development, and the imperative of preventing youth initiation of tobacco use. Armed with evidence-based tools and resources, healthcare providers will be empowered to educate, screen, and support youth in quitting tobacco and nicotine habits, significantly impacting their long-term health and well-being.
Upon the completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Analyze the current landscape of tobacco, vaping, and nicotine product use among youth, including prevalence and trends.
- Discuss the multifaceted factors associated with youth initiation of tobacco product use, considering social, environmental, and individual influences.
- Examine the physical and behavioral effects of tobacco and nicotine products on youth, including the implications for brain development and overall health.
- Evaluate effective strategies to reduce youth access to and use of tobacco and nicotine products, considering prevention, policy, and educational interventions.
- Summarize evidence-based screening techniques and cessation strategies. specifically tailored for youth, incorporating best practices and resources to support successful quit attempts.
About the Author/Presenter
Maria Morales is a nurse planner for Colibri Healthcare and a certified legal nurse consultant. She is a quality-focused, results-driven nursing education professional. As a continuing education leader with nurse executive experience in developing interprofessional educational programs, she supports healthcare workers with educational activities to help increase communication within the healthcare team.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC’s Respiratory Care programs have been approved for Continuing Respiratory Care Education (CRCE) credit by the American Association for Respiratory Care, 9425, N. MacArthur Blvd, Suite 100, Irving TX 75063.