Common Envenomations: Snakes, Lizards, Marine Life and Arthropods
About the Course
The purpose of this course is to teach healthcare professionals to recognize and expertly and efficiently manage a variety of envenomations. This course reviews the epidemiology, pathophysiology, clinical features, and management of various envenomations, including snakebites, scorpion stings, spider bites, hymenoptera stings, venomous lizard bites, and a variety of marine envenomations, including jellyfish stings. Common myths will be dispelled, and learners will be provided with evidence-based treatment guidelines.
Upon completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Identify venomous creatures in the U.S. to include snakes, lizards, spiders, scorpions, arthropods, and marine life.
- Differentiate venom, poison, and toxugen in the context of venomous creatures in the U.S.
- Examine the epidemiology, pathophysiology, and clinical features of envenomations by common venomous creatures.
- Discuss general approaches in assessment and diagnosis to differentiate envenomations from soft tissue infections.
- Describe the evidence-based care approach to managing common envenomations in the U.S.
- Evaluate the indications for use and management of potential untoward effects of antivenom.
- Discuss the danger of inappropriate management of envenomations.
About the Author
Spencer Greene, MD, MS, FACEP, FACMT, FAACT, FAAEM, is the director of toxicology and an attending emergency physician at HCA Houston Healthcare–Kingwood. He is a clinical professor at the University of Houston College of Medicine. Dr. Greene has directed the Houston Venom Conference since 2013. He also served as the course director for the American College of Medical Toxicology Natural Toxins Academy. He has authored more than 50 book chapters and scholarly articles and is the recipient of multiple teaching and clinical awards.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 3-hour commitment of time.
- At the end of the course, answer the Yes/No Affirmation question to indicate that you have completed the educational activity.
- Specific to Florida: A mandatory Final Examination with a passing score of 75% or higher is required. Exam questions link content
- to the course Learning Outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Dr. Spencer Greene has disclosed he is a consultant and speaker with BTG Specialty Pharmaceuticals. All relevant financial relationships have been mitigated.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited by the Accreditation Council of Pharmacy Education (ACPE) as a provider of continuing pharmaceutical education. (Provider #0607).