The Validation of Controlled Drug Prescriptions in Florida, 2nd Edition
About the Course
This course is intended for all pharmacists licensed in the state of Florida. The course discusses the interpretation and compliance with Florida laws regarding controlled substances prescriptions. The course also includes information on the Prescription Drug Monitoring Program, the use of naloxone, proper storage and disposal of controlled substances, resolving drug therapy problems, and pharmacist-initiated patient counseling for opioid prescriptions. Learners will be equipped to identify and provide support for patients experiencing or at risk for opioid dependence, addiction, misuse, or abuse.
Upon completion of the course, the learner will be able to:
- Recognize the role of opioids in the treatment of pain.
- Interpret new Florida laws regarding the dispensing of controlled substances.
- Demonstrate methods to ensure patients with valid prescriptions will have access to controlled substances.?
- Discuss the use of a Prescription Drug Monitoring Program (PDMP).
- Determine the appropriate therapeutic value of a controlled substance prescription.
- Describe how to detect prescriptions not issued for a legitimate medical purpose.?
- Recall prescribing and dispensing controlled substance laws and rules.?
- Outline proper storage and disposal of controlled substances.
- Implement protocols to resolve drug therapy problems identified during drug utilization reviews, such as drug-drug interactions and dosing guidelines involving controlled substances.
- Recall state orders for standing naloxone orders.
- Demonstrate pharmacist-initiated patient counseling for opioid prescriptions.
- Utilize available resources for patients suspected of opioid dependence, addiction, misuse, or abuse.
About the Author/Presenter
Patricia Weiser, PharmD, is a licensed pharmacist and graduate of the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy. After about 15 years in clinical practice, Dr. Weiser pivoted into medical writing. She now specializes in creating and reviewing educational content for patients and healthcare professionals. Her published work spans a variety of health topics, such as cancer, diabetes, autoimmune disease, mental health, and medication safety.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 2-hour commitment of time.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. (Provider #0607). Your hours will be reported to CPE Monitor within 10 business days after course completion. Colibri Healthcare, LLC is also approved through the Florida Board of Pharmacy (Provider #50-4007).