Ethics for the Oklahoma Physical Therapy Professional
About the Course
This online home study continuing education course is intended to instruct the professional through a self-paced study on the APTA Code of Ethics, APTA Standards of Ethical Conduct for the Physical Therapist Assistant, the Board of Physical Therapy Policy Statement and basic theories and approaches in ethical decision making.
- Define Ethics and the components of ethical standards and behavior.
- Identify the ten medical principals of ethics.
- Cite the five roles of the physical therapist, which are noted as the foundation of the APTA code of ethics.
- Describe the seven core values which guide the APTA principals of professional ethics.
- State the components of the Realm-Individual Process-Situation (RIPS) model of ethical decision making.
- Identify the types of documentation fraud in healthcare.
About the Author
ver the last 30 years, Lisa Young Milliken has served adults and geriatrics as a clinician, manager, vice president, consultant, compliance manager and education director and is most passionate about mentoring healthcare professionals in the post-acute facilities across the country. She currently provides continuing education support to therapists in over 950 sites nationwide as Education Specialist for Select Rehabilitation. She has authored and lectured at the state and national level with over 100 professional continuing education courses on a wide range of topics of importance to the healthcare professional who works with the older population. This includes all levels of dementia specific training throughout the last 30 years, ranging from types and stages of cortical vs. non-cortical dementias to non-pharmacological strategies and assuring Rules of Participation in the Long-term care setting.
Lisa is a member ASHA, where she currently serves as a State Advocate for Medicare Policy (StAMP) to Texas and she serves on the TSHA Executive Council as Chair of the Business Management Committee. She has also recently been awarded as a Distinguished Fellow of the National Academies of Practice in Speech-Language Pathology. In prior years she served in multiple positions on the Louisiana Speech Hearing and Language Association to include State Advocate for Medicare Policy, Director of Publications, President Elect, President and Past President. Through her leadership positions on the Louisiana and Texas Association boards and executive council, she has purposed to advocate services of these associations’ members as well as for the clients and families served by the members.
How to Receive Credit
- Watch the entire course which requires a 2-hour commitment of time.
- Complete a mandatory test (a passing score of 75% is required). Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Planners, faculty, and others in control of content (either individually or as a group) have no relevant financial relationships with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.