Is It Wise to Specialize? Sports Specialization in Youth Athletes
About the Course
Designed for trainers and therapists who work with young athletes, this course covers the risks of sports specialization in youth and makes training recommendations to mitigate those risks and still achieve sports performance success.
- Select the common features of sports specialization.?
- Interpret the physical, cognitive, and psychosocial benefits to?early diversification and sports sampling.?
- Construct a plan to recognize risk factors for recurrent and?overuse injuries in youth athletes.??
- Devise a plan to implement evidence-informed injury?prevention strategies for youth and adolescent athletes.??
- Differentiate youth and adolescent athletes into?classification groups through use of a specialization scale?.
About the Author
J.D. Boudreaux received a Bachelor of Science degree from McNeese State University in 2003 as well as a Masters of Physical Therapy from LSU Health Sciences Center-Shreveport in 2005. In August of 2003, he became nationally certified as an athletic trainer and obtained his Sports Certified Specialist certification through the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties in 2011 and later recertified in 2021. He completed his EdD degree from the University of Louisiana Monroe in Curriculum and Instruction in the Fall of 2018. He has over fifteen years of experience as a dual credentialed sports medicine professional. He has spent seven years managing acute athletic injuries and directing the post-surgical rehabilitation of high-level athletes at the collegiate level. JD is the founder of EPIC Education and Consulting, LLC and is currently employed by a regional health system delivering care in an outpatient sports medicine clinic in conjunction with other medical professionals to a variety of individuals, including high school and collegiate athletes.
How to Receive Credit
- View the entire course.
- Answer the final examination questions at the end of the course. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning objectives as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.