Chest Trauma, 2nd Edition
About the Course
In this course the learner will be introduced to the various types of chest traumas that can occur and how to manage and/or treat these injuries.
Upon completion of this course, the learner will be able to:
- Identify potential injuries resulting from blunt chest trauma.
- Identify causes of blunt chest trauma
- Briefly outline the medical concerns and recommended treatment for the following: fractured ribs, fractured sternochondral junction, fractured sternum, flail chest, rupture of the diaphragm, rupture of the aorta, pulmonary trauma, and cardiac trauma.
- Identify potential injuries resulting from penetrating chest trauma.
- Identify causes of penetrating chest trauma.
- Explain the reasons for hidden injuries in penetrating chest traumas.
- Identify assessment tools employed in the emergency setting for screening and diagnosis of injury.
- List the steps to perform a thoracostomy tube placement.
- Identify complications of a chest tube placement procedure.
About the Author
Dr. Heather O’Connell, has been a respiratory therapist for 15 years. She has worked in many different areas of our field such as critical care and throughout the various other areas in our field. Heather O’Connell has earned her credentials for RRT, ACCS, and CPFT throughout the years. She was able to earn her associate in science from Edison State College, her bachelor’s in cardiopulmonary sciences from the University of Central Florida and her masters from Southern New Hampshire in Healthcare Administration along with completing her Doctorate in Healthcare Administration from Walden University in 2022. She worked as a clinical preceptor from 2010 until 2015, when she became a full time Director of Clinical Education for the Respiratory Care at her local college. She has taught in various classes such as Assessment, Mechanical ventilation, and Therapeutics. Heather has also participated in course revisions and new course for Western Schools and Colibri along with authoring a chapter in the Lintz Comprehensive Respiratory Disease. Heather began working for Elite as the Respiratory Care planner in 2020.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 2-hour commitment of time.
- Complete a mandatory test (a passing score of 75% is required). Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Provide required personal and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Heather O’Connell has disclosed she is an independent contractor researcher with Elite CEU. All relevant financial relationships have been mitigated/does not have a financial relationship with ineligible companies.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri Healthcare, LLC not to accept support from ineligible companies. Furthermore, ineligible companies are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC’s Respiratory Care programs have been approved for Continuing Respiratory Care Education (CRCE) credit by the American Association for Respiratory Care, 9425, N. MacArthur Blvd, Suite 100, Irving TX 75063.