Management of Post-Traumatic and Secondary Traumatic Stress in Healthcare Professionals
About the Course
Job burnout, posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and secondary traumatic stress (STS) are consequences of extreme job demands in the healthcare profession. Such demands may include frequent and intense contact with traumatized clients and chronic exposure to traumatic content at work. PTSD has long-term physical and psychological complications that can affect health and lifelong functioning.
This course will differentiate between types of trauma, explain how the body responds to trauma, and explore various treatment options.
- Identify symptoms of burnout in the workplace that can lead to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and secondary traumatic stress disorder (STS).
- Recognize differences between PTSD and STS.
- Identify common PTSD and STS symptoms.
- Recognize the etiology of STS in the healthcare seeing.
- Identify treatment strategies for PTSD and STS for healthcare professionals that can improve work performance and physical/ mental health of the worker.
About the Author/Presenter
Dr. Kimberly Byrd is an accomplished professional in the field of social work and education. She holds a Doctorate of Education (EdD) and is also a Licensed Master of Social Work (LMSW). With her extensive educational background and practical experience in social work and education, Dr. Byrd has acquired a deep understanding of the complex issues and challenges faced by individuals and communities. Dr. Byrd’s expertise lies in various areas, including trauma-informed care, mental health, counseling, and community development. She actively contributes to her community through research, publications, and presentations.
How to Receive Credit
- Read the entire course online or in print which requires a 1-hour commitment of time.
- After completion of the course, complete the final examination. A passing grade of 75% is required. Test questions link content to learning outcomes as a method to enhance individualized learning and material retention.
- Note to Nursing professionals: Depending on your state requirements, you will be asked to either affirm that you have completed the course, or you will be required to complete the Post-test included in the course.
- Provide required personal information and payment information.
- Complete the mandatory course evaluation.
- Print your Certificate of Completion.
Resolution of Conflict of Interest
Colibri Healthcare, LLC implemented mechanisms prior to the planning and implementation of the continuing education activity, to identify and resolve conflicts of interest for all individuals in a position to control content of the course activity.
Sponsorship/Commercial Support and Non-Endorsement
It is the policy of Colibri not to accept commercial support. Furthermore, commercial interests are prohibited from distributing or providing access to this activity to learners.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition.
©2023: All Rights Reserved. Materials may not be reproduced without the expressed written permission or consent of Colibri Healthcare, LLC. The materials presented in this course are meant to provide the consumer with general information on the topics covered. The information provided was prepared by professionals with practical knowledge of the areas covered. It is not meant to provide medical, legal, or professional advice. Colibri Healthcare, LLC recommends that you consult a medical, legal, or professional services expert licensed in your state. Colibri Healthcare, LLC has made all reasonable efforts to ensure that all content provided in this course is accurate and up to date at the time of printing but does not represent or warrant that it will apply to your situation nor circumstances and assumes no liability from reliance on these materials. Quotes are collected from customer feedback surveys. The models are intended to be representative and not actual customers.
Accreditations and Approvals
Colibri Healthcare, LLC has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 6341. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. Colibri Healthcare, LLC is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Colibri Healthcare, LLC maintains responsibility for this program and its content. Most states accept courses offered by APA approved sponsors.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC (formerly Elite Professional Education, LLC), Provider Number 1147, is approved as an ACE provider to offer social work continuing education by the Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) Approved Continuing Education (ACE) program. Regulatory boards are the final authority on courses accepted for continuing education credit. ACE provider approval period: 5/5/2023 – 5/5/2026.
Colibri Healthcare, LLC is approved by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (Provider #450215-06). Most states accept courses approved by this board.