The American Association of Nurse Practitioners has announced the recipients of the 2021 AANP State Award for Excellence. Several registered nurses in Texas have been named winners of the 2021 D Magazine Excellence in Nursing Awards. A hospital in Oregon will donate $80,000 annually to support a new nursing instructor position at a community college. A nursing podcast seeks to serve as an “on-the-go” resource for clinical and professional learning. Read on for more nursing news and insights.
AANP announces national award winners
The American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) has announced the recipients of the 2021 AANP State Award for Excellence. Established in 1991, the State Award for Excellence is given to a nurse practitioner (NP) and NP advocate in each state annually to recognize outstanding achievement.
These NPs demonstrate excellence in clinical practice and have made a significant contribution toward increasing the awareness and recognition of NPs, according to AANP officials. All winners are listed online.
Grow your skills and fulfill your CE with the Elite Nursing Passport Membership.
Texas RNs honored for nursing excellence
Nearly 20 registered nurses at Parkland Health & Hospital System, Dallas, TX, have been named winners of the 2021 D Magazine Excellence in Nursing Awards. The awards are designed to shine a spotlight on the unsung heroes of healthcare. Physicians, nurses, and patients nominated the most outstanding nurses in north Texas for recognition.
Honored winners and their award categories include:
- Maria S. Alvarez, BSN, RN, Consult Liaison Psychiatry
- Katie Bloodgood, MS-HCAD, BSN, RN, RNC-NIC, Nurse Residence Coordinator: NICU
- Linda Bynum, BSN, RN, CCRN, Medicine ICU
- Molly Case, MHA, BSN, RN, A-CTTP, CSSGB, Virtual Care
- Juanita Chism, MSN, RN, AMB-BC, Population Health – Community Oriented Primary Care
- Tamika Christman, BSN, RN, RN-BC, Acute Response Clinic
- Dolores Diaz, MSN, RN, HOMES Program
- Judy Herrington, MSN, RN, Medicine Services
- Akhere Isenalumhe, BSN, RN, CCHP, TNCC, Dallas County Correctional Health
- Daizy Mathai, RN, IBCLC, Women & Family Education
- JoWanna Moffitt, BSN, RN, Simmons Ambulatory Surgery Center Ortho, Pain and Plastics
- Charles Okpara, MSN, APRN, FNP-BC, OCN, Oncology Infusion/Acute Care/Apheresis and COVID Outpatient Follow Up Clinic
- Sandra O’Rear, BSN, RN, Acute Dialysis
- Amanda Pitt, MBA, BSN, RN, RN-BC, PCAPP & Nursing Research
- Debra Thompson, APRN, MS, CNS, PNP, PC, Newborn APRN
- Krisana Tipton, BSN, RN, Clinical Education & Academic Partnership
- Beena Varghese, MSN-Ed, RN, CNN, Clinical Education & Academic Programs
- Debbie Wilson-Lewis, MSN, MBA, HCM, RN, Bluitt Flowers Health Center
- Shona Zachariah, MSN, RN, 16 Neuroscience ACU
Looking for CE courses in Texas? View the entire course library here.
Hospital to donate salary for college’s nursing instructor
Officials at Columbia Memorial Hospital in Astoria, OR, have announced that they will donate $80,000 annually to support a new nursing instructor position at Clatsop Community College. According to a report by The Astorian, under the agreement the hospital will save more than $100,000 per year.
The donation will also reportedly help with retaining staff by allowing the college to offer a better wage. The rural region typically has a difficult time attracting job candidates, according to the report. The hospital’s chief executive officer, Erik Thorsen, has been quoted as saying that the presence of a nursing program in the community is of a major importance for the hospital and its administration.
Podcast spotlight: Plugged In To Nursing
The Plugged In To Nursing podcast seeks to celebrate and inform the nursing industry on current nursing issues and to serve as an “on-the-go” resource for clinical and professional learning. Hosted by Alli Overfield, RN, and sponsored by the Norton Healthcare Center for Nursing Practice, the podcast is led by nurses, for nurses.
Recent episodes include an interview with Erik Martin, DNP, RN, CENP, Vice President, Patient Care Services and Chief Nursing Officer, at Norton Children’s Hospital. During this conversation, Dr. Martin discusses her professional growth and the many opportunities for nursing professional growth at the bedside and in a traditional academic setting.
For more nursing news, insights, and other healthcare resources, visit our Resource Center. Need Nursing CE courses? Find individual CE courses in your state, or save time and money with the Elite Nursing Passport Membership.